Monday, March 22, 2010

Productivity Overflow

I can say with great confidence that today and yesterday have been the most productive days since Take Control was recorded.
My check lists went from this:


To this:




And the lyrics went from single, clean sheets of paper with text, to four, fourth incarnation drafts with obnoxious corrections and illegible handwriting all over:




What does this mean for you though?
I know you don't all live in my head.... thankfully... for everyone.


I'm a very disorganized person mentally.
Because it's so hard to sift through all the thoughts and keep tabs on the important things, I need to (like many people) write it down.
I used to document my progress in a livejournal that a number of fans eventually stumbled upon, but that eventually became the secondary purpose of the journal as it became social.
What really helped push me through recording TAFKA"8LDM" was the discovery of the "to do" list. At first I was pretty apprehensive because it feels archaic, wasteful, and like the product of age-related mental apathy... but I was 19 years old, and that's only old to the Peter Pan Complexed.

The list ended up looking like this by the end of the sessions:




Oh, and yeah... if something really weird happens and I become famous and I am in need of some money, I'm going to sign this and sell it. I'm just going to put that out there now so that, in the unlikely situation that I become famous, I won't get any justifiable hoo-ha about it.



Anyway, back to my story/update/etc.

Yesterday I spent literally 12 - 14 hours on the splits.
I recorded vocals for 3 hours straight, mixed for about 5 total, and spent around 4 hours on the floor, zoning out and tooling around with different electronics, trying to find something helpful for the process, and probably an hour or more learning guitar parts I've written for songs that I may or may not use.
I learned some helpful things for the future, but all that I really came up with for the splits is how to run some of the synth sounds on the Dental Work split to add analog warmth to the tone.

If you notice, the second list on those pictures is different on the more recent one.
I completely overhauled the track list for the Dental Work split and replaced one on the Watabou split, even after spending so much time with the old stuff.
It sounds like counter productivity, but I was chasing unicorns and dead rats before (I know, that's a pretty contrived metaphor, but it enhances my otherwise tangent filled and moderately bland writing... it's not MY fault if I was born preferring to read recording technique books, instruction manuals, Albert Camus, and articles/documents instead of science fiction and fantasy...


Today hasn't started entirely the same way as yesterday, as there are people around preventing me from getting any more vocals tracked this afternoon, but it did begin with URTURA PAWAA BUREKKUFASTO!!!!!~ and continued with marking even more things off the list, finding flaws and correcting them, more mixing, making a daily priority list, and writing a new Mob Boss song (I need more short cables now for the band though as this song adds yet another pedal to the already very busy pedal rig.)


By the way, maybe your bodies are all different than mine (most are,) but I'm pretty sure that anyone can benefit from a healthy productivity boost with this type of morning. Eggs with hot sauce, blueberry/orange/strawberry sorbet or smoothie with only real fruit, and lapsang souchong.
Feel free to supplant lapsang with green tea if you aren't man enough but don't want to be a total wimp and drink english breakfast tea or whatever lipton iced tea is supposed to be.
Green tea has a slightly more clean feeling to it if it's made right anyway, which has it's benefits... lapsang is about being a mother fucking [Chinese] lumberjack [in the Wuyi Mountains, look it up], punching a hoard of attacking wolves without fear, and loving the taste of drinking something that tastes like it was steeped in a campfire with menthol added.... I swear it's good really though <_<

Whatever, you know what? You probably think beer tastes good and we all know you've only fooled yourself into thinking that because you wanted to feel cooler, so don't even mess with me. I'll lay you out.
Actually I probably won't. I'm not particularly strong, nor has violence has ever sat very well with me from an intellectual/ideological standpoint.


What am I even saying anymore?








Short version:
Recording has gone from "wow, I am fucked" to "YES THIS IS WORKING OUT SOMEHOW!"
I have the rest of the day to be productive, in addition to the rest of the week.

If you're desperate to stay even more updated on today's developments than you are right this second, feel free to check twitter. I might have something for you:
twitter.com/bubblegumoctopu

You can also just check the myspace since Twitter updates the status on there too.
Who knows, I didn't really update much yesterday.
Updating the Twitter page isn't exactly in the front of my mind when I'm recording.



Stay happy, babies.

2 comments:

  1. Lol. Babies. You have quite the progression following you. I was curious; on your checklists, are those all different projects or split album names, possible songs? Just love what you do, and want to know what i'm telling people about. :)

    ReplyDelete