Sunday, March 21, 2010

Jicheal

What's a Jicheal?
The answer is more obvious than you might think

The answer, is none other than the true King: MJ himself.

Why the hell am I writing about Micheal Jackson though?
I wish I could say it wasn't related to his passing, but it is.

On the day he passed away, I posted a silly bulletin inviting myself to be the new King of Unpopular Pop now that the real throne was empty.
I meant it innocently, but something about saying it made me feel sort of sad inside later.
Micheal Jackson has almost always been an influence on my music, be it just for general song writing genius or vocal abilities, stage presence, and just about every other fucking thing he revolutionized/innovated/etc for everyone else that you already know about.

In the years leading up to his death, I actually became really taken by the thought of a new Micheal Jackson album.
It was an enticing concept. He'd been inactive since like 2001 or so, after all.
I remember seeing him on the cover of TV guide in late 2007 and being so excited... in fact, in 2008 I had become quite obsessed with his music... good timing.

I won't go into too much detail, about how I think he most definitely never molested a child and that he was just crazy and Peter Pan complex-ed enough to think that simply sleeping with a child in his bed was perfectly okay, or how I think he's probably not even dead, just in another dimension taking his career in the only direction it could have gone (I imagine on his way out of the earth's general vicinity he stopped his spaceship just long enough to do some moon-walking on the surface of the actual moon, laughing to himself "heh... moon-walking... they had no idea..") and I won't go into praising him, as anyone with a head on their shoulders understands his relevance and talent...

I will say though that liking him in middle school was a bit problematic as his name was essentially a punchline back then. I mean, I didn't like anything except video game music, jazz, orchestral, and funk up until like 2000 or 2001, but non-ballad Micheal Jackson songs always grabbed my stomach in that certain way that I strive so hard to recreate in my own music with Bubblegum Octopus.
(Embarrassing story, before I knew it was a Micheal Jackson song, I thought to myself that that Alien Ant Farm cover was a song of theirs and I couldn't come to terms with the fact that I enjoyed the songwriting so much because I thought they wrote it.)


I guess all I really wanted to point out, is that what I said was never a joke about his death, simply a weird reaction made when I really didn't believe it'd happened.... hell, I still don't. I'm either in denial or just privy to what he's really up to right now.
I know no one was offended, and I haven't gotten heat about it or anything, I just felt it in my soul necessary to make a public apology to someone who won't know I ever did something that might have been misconstrued.




Did I forget to mention I'm extremely tired?

No comments:

Post a Comment