Thursday, March 11, 2010

Non-Bubblegum Octopus news

Sorry all, I know I said I'd do this twenty minutes from the Facebook update, but uh... I got side-tracked by trying to figure out how to record directly from my cassette recorder (I love this thing, seriously) into my computer.



LET'S GO:


Frame House:
FH finally has A DRUMMER! (I don't remember if I mentioned that here... maybe I did) This means that after playing in failed bands with Keith since 2003, we are finally going to be able to record something with a full band AND play shows!
The drummer is none other than Jayme of They All Had Tentacles (and other bands.)
He and I had a rehearsal yesterday without Keith and it yielded some interesting results....
We are still looking for keys and second guitar to cover some of the extra guitar parts, leads, and parts where keith has to sing and playing along is not an option.


Mob Boss:
WHAT?? WHO?? WHERE??!!

Well, as I just got done mentioning before, Jayme and I scheduled a rehearsal but Keith got called into work and I didn't have any other plans...
After doing some noise for fun, Jayme asked if I wanted to play any melodic stuff.
At first I was like "eh... I won't play it very well on this bass, so I'd rather not" (my primary bass was incapacitated for the time being... 6th broken tuning peg in 7 years of playing bass. What did I do wrong?!)
After a few moments I realized that I have a repository of melodic songs I've written on guitar, mostly in strange tunings, and that it'd be a perfect opportunity to try playing the songs with a real drummer as I always imagined never playing them and eventually just recording them with a session drummer or doing the parts myself.
The songs ended up working out perfectly, much to my delight, and a new song was even written on the spot.

After we played through things a couple times (sounding very solid, all things considered) we discussed the future of the songs and decided that the only logical thing was to form a two piece somewhat-side-project-within-a-somewhat-side-project called Mob Boss.

The songs are loud, fast, and noisy, but they have a gooey melodic center.
Hell, there are complete moments of respite from the clangy, blown-out guitars + pedal mutilation and thrashy, punky drums, complete with actual dynamics, but for the most part I guess it's sort of like a real screamo band playing shoegaze songs in their native tongue with a healthy dose of japanese indie, garage, and noise rock in the mix (what else did you expect from me?)
Think Number Girl/Zazen Boys + ACIDMAN + Coaltar Of The Deeprs + Sailboats + Melt-Banana + Discordance Axis + Guitar Wolf + Jerome's Dream + Pia Fraus... or something

It's kind of where I wanted Frame House to move, but now that Mob Boss exists there is no reason to push Frame House where it isn't meant to go.

I see shows in the surprisingly near future and a demo EP in the same time zone.


c@:
Some of you have probably already seen that c@ is on hiatus, but I have been recording some noise for my oldest active project whenever I'm feeling so inclined. The plan is to have a new full length called Rhythm Channel Populous, which will be a sequel to Daring Z-Young Nesyell (no word on the release location), and a split CD-R (or was it a tape...) with I Killed Techno! on Nintendocrash Records.


Ultra Death Men: We have a demo we're giving out to show promoters, and as soon as we have another show we're going to record a true demo/EP/something-or-other right after for everyone to hear.
No word on the release location or format, but I'm thinking self-released CD-R unless some label wants to press it for us.
We have some new material, written by yours truly, and it's sounding superb.
I highly recommend you come to our next show, wherever and whenever it may be.
Nothing but upbeat math-rock, some freeform "jazz," tasteless "dance" songs, and music in-jokes so esoteric we don't even understand them.





Anyway, that's it.
I'm supposedly going to have a bass student and a guitar student again, so maybe they can help me pay for the things I need before the Unpopular Pop Music Fantasies tour....

No comments:

Post a Comment