Thursday, January 28, 2010

Upcoming Release Updates: Part 2

Alright, I've been talking a lot about my upcoming releases and there's always been some tone of confusion in regards to it.
I believe I've come up with a solution for myself, so here it is:

(Don't forget I have shirts for sale at shows and at bubblegumoctopus.bigcartel.com. I need to do my best to get everyone who has asked about them over the years to know about them)



I am currently working on writing material for my splits with Watabou and Dental Work while simultaneously trying to record for my next album, doing songs for compilations, and working with Ultra Death Men to get more shows and a demo/EP recorded so people can.. you know... hear some of our written songs, not just improvisations recorded in the othertwo guys' basement with a single mic.

My decision about the upcoming Bubblegum Octopus releases has basically come to this:

Bad Happy will happen when it happens. I'm not going to rush it.
I wanted it out by March, and then April, but May or June is currently more plausible.
Reason being simply that I need more time on them and the Dental Work and Watabou splits are less fiscally involved.

The Dental Work split will be on his Placenta Recordings CD-R label of course, and it'll be standard fare PR release: CD-R inside plastic case with printed artwork and limited to 200 copies.
Unlike other PR releases however, it will be not only be hand-numbered, but each disc will feature unique hand-drawn art by me, Jay, his girlfriend, my girlfriend Bradlea, and possibly a few by my friends.

If you like novelty discs, that'll be one to pick up for sure.
Best of all, because they are a PR release, they'll cost 5 dollars!


The Watabou split is going to be a bit more cost intensive, but it will be printed in a factory like my album was.
I don't know how many copies we are going to do, but based on the song sketches he's sent me for his side it's going to be epic... no, not "epic" like "I live on my computer and love stupid image board websites" epic, epic like "holy fuck, it's like a final boss battle in my ears"
I'm thinking right now that it will be a factory replicated or duplicated disc with a sleeve style case or standard issue CD case (with a spine label this time, I really regret not doing that with TAFKA'8LDM') accompanied by a printed out insert with lyrics and liner notes, unless it's cost effective to have a nicer one made by the plant (it usually isn't.)

I'm also working on songs for the Zathura split that was supposed to be out in March, but because I'm touring in Michigan and Watabou and Dental Work are in MI... and because I'm playing with both of them, possibly multiple times, I thought itd be more appropriate to have those out for that.



In compilation news, I missed my deadline for Nektar Vol 2, but they said I can always be on Vol 3.
I did submit two old, unreleased tracks for compilations that should be out soon though.
First I submitted my track "Rabbit Fun" for Genres Unknown To Mankind, a compilation chock full of quality experiemental electronic music and defunct, sub-par digigrind bands that existed for a few minutes.... but it makes it funnier that way.

That song was cut from TAFKA'8LDM' for continuity reasons.
In addition to being written too late in 2007, it used a lot of sounds that didn't fit the sonic color palette, which was mostly created with manipulated and layered Apple-made plug-ins from several generations of the same program (for some reason the same settings on the same plug-ins sound different in different versions of Garageband.)
I dunno, it was cut for petty reasons I suppose, that probably wouldn't have even made anyone else bothered like it did with me, but I think it was the right decision.
It's just a blast of silliness.



The next song of days past I submitted recently is "Tree Movies" from 2006, for the compilation Fuck Your Speakers on TrashFuck Net.
It started as a First Aid Squid song, but because it broke the rules (I went back after recording the first part) and because it was far more melodic than the other songs, I decided to just make it an ill-fitting BgO song... did I mention that is has no drums?

I had it up on the myspace and Soundclick for a few days, and it's become a hit with a lot of the older fans, but it faded into obscurity. The song basically made it through every track list I made for TAFKA until the last time I worked on it.

Also for Fuck Your Speakers, I submitted a Rew-mi-ref-rots song called "Fifpjiz III - 56" and another multi-movement c@ song called "Suck my Quetzalcoatl/Dead Friends."




Right now I'm about to attempt doing some recording for my submissions to ACL Save The Kitties and Cybernetic Underground.

For Save The Kitties I've written a short, happy song about.. well.. loving kitties.
For Cybernetic Underground I'm going to attempt recording vocals for a live show staple song, Mr. Yum, which was written for the now disbanded SpazzPop Forever!!!!~ EP.



I'll continue updating slowly.
Connecting the RSS feed to my last.fm page has made me feel like I can't just write about any old thing and that I have to keep it relevant to BgO... -sigh- neurosis...

No comments:

Post a Comment