Tuesday, December 22, 2009

More release CRAP (Now includes open invititation comp news)

Alright, so some of you may have seen that I dropped the ball with the Best Of Christmas (NOT) compilation volume 3.
I just wasn't pleased with the songs I was working on, and the snow storm we had made me not feel safe driving to Bradlea's apartment, where I would have had actual quiet during the day.

That being said, I'm passively working on my song for Nektar Volume 2.
I want it to work, but it's a very conceptual compilation that makes me want to write a very certain kind of song that doesn't exactly just spring out of the ground on command.

However, if you're shouting at your screens (all... four... of you...???) about how I'm being lame and not releasing things when I said I would (again,) there is still hope to satiate your hunger for unreleased or new musics.

Colors Killing Numbers was assembling a compilation a while ago... It was called something with "Genres Unknown" in the title.
It included some digigrind artists, Giggle The Ozone, Strangelette, Scissor Shock, a hip-hop guy, and some other things I forget.
I agreed to do a song for BgO, c@, and FS, and I wrote one song for each.

I recorded the c@ song and submitted it pretty quickly.
The FS song got guitar recording done, but no vocals.
The BgO song kept going from being one song to being another, etc etc etc..

CKN said he wanted to wait for all of my tracks, but after however many months I was unable to record it (first I had to do the Yatagarasu split, then the tour, and then all of whatever the hell all I've been doing since then) he decided to tell me today that his compilation was dead.
This jogged my memory of the thing and I rushed for ideas.

The short version is this:
I took an unreleased track called "Rabbit Fun" that I wrote and recorded in 2007.


The long version:
I took an unreleased track called Rabbit Fun that I wrote and recorded in 2007.
I don't know why I recorded it, but I've had it sitting around, waiting to be on the 8-Legged B-Sides album.
It's short and chaotic, and if I had the ability to get the back-up disc into this computer I'd master the song properly, but desperate times called for desperate measures.

I initially wouldn't have released it on a compilation because I was planning on doing the 8-Legged B-Sides album, but that's no longer some I plan on doing.

I've long been fascinated with unreleased/rarities compilations from a single artist.
For example... Scissor Shock have one on Placenta Recordings (with another on the way,) Melt-Banana have their 13" Hedgehogs album, and Atari Teenage Riot have that Redefine The Enemy album that came in a tin case... so I said to myself recently "3 of my favorite artists have compilation albums... why the fuck can't I??"

That compilation album will not happen for a while yet, but it will include everything I've done that has not made it's way to a disc.
If I sell out of Take Control albums, I might even put my material from that on there.
The comp will include the demo songs, old versions of songs that were on the album but not on the demo, compilation tracks, and the re-recordings of the demo songs that I promise, along with whatever else comes up between now and then.


Anyway, back to the point...

For the upcoming compilation (which I will know the name of soon) I have two tracks submitted:

Boring City's Finest - c@
Rabbit Fun - Bubblegum Octopus



ALSO

There is an open invitation compilation coming out on Trash Fuck Records called Fuck Your Speakers.
I don't know if that means to disregard your speakers or to engage in coitus with them, but either way you know that it will be cacophonous.

The comp was being assembled by Sakura Pups alone, but RedSK's label Trash Fuck got involved and now it's this whole big thing...
Anyway, the basis of the compilation would appear to be the following:

• More songs than you can handle
• All songs unusual and/or chaotic and/or alienating and/or avant-garde and/or generic outsider and/or something else
• ANYONE can take part
• EVERYONE should take part


Perhaps you have a song that you don't have desire to put on release, but don't want to throw out.

Perhaps there is a song you really think represents yourself well and you'd like to get it to a wider audience than just whoever happens to hear you on myspace.

Perhaps you want to make your discography longer.


As long as it's an exclusive song to the compilation at the time of the release, as long as it's under 6 minutes, and as long as it doesn't explicitly harass any of the artists on the compilation with malicious intent, you're already approved.
(Actually, I think songs with generic sounding auto-tune vocals or any amount of "crunkness" involved are not acceptable either, but I don't know for sure)

Just send it to Sakura Pups, RedSK/Trash Fuck, or even to myself (even though I have no real part in organizing it) and it'll get to the right place.


I've submitted a Rew-mi-ref-rots track and I intend to at least do a c@ song.
Bubblegum Octopus, Fork Sister, Dual Feline (more info on this band soon) and others have not been ruled out though.

Okay, that's all! I hope to see some of you lovelies on the 28th.
I haven't been practicing, but I will still bring the noise!!

1 comment:

  1. o shit this open invitation comp thing sounds awesome. I'll maybe try to do something for it when I get home in a couple days. Will be the first thing I record for my post-WGJ solo thing.

    You know what the deadline is?

    ReplyDelete