Thursday, December 10, 2009

Upcoming release updates

Okay, not as fun as I was anticipating... but I hadn't slept in a while so everything sounded fun.

Still waiting on pictures, video, and audio from the past three shows.
There are two videos on youtube from that miserable show with TRUE PUNK ROCK LEGENDS Bowling For Soup.
One was posted by a fan, one was posted by a dissenter.
I won't link them here because I don't really want to go fetch them... I hate watching myself, and youtube comments make me very uncomfortable... positive or negative, intelligent or completely moronic.... ha... intelligent youtube comments... right...

There were also three videos from Virginia posted... ANOTHER miserable show.
There were noise complaints during the Yatagarasu set, so I was forced to turn down from the start.
By the end of the set it was basically whisper quiet.
They also posted a video from the after-party of Chris and I playing Taiko No Tatsujin on some special machine that there is only one of in the country.
The audio is awful though because the ultra loud DDR playing overpowers the Taiko game.


Anyway... so let's get to the point of the update.
Release for the near and semi-near future!


First things first:
  • Christmasasaurus Vol. 4
It should be out by Monday. It's going to be killer.
I'm not going to lie... I have a ton of work to do on my song. I really slacked off.
I'm probably just going to record it in Garageband and not bother with Logic.
I have enough wasted disc space and Logic will change all the reverb settings and some of the
the EQ, so I'd have to start over with the mixing.

  • The Best of Christmas (NOT) Vol. 3
Another Christmas compilation I'm doing. I'm just submitting a track to them though.
It's open invite, so if you want on a Christmas compilation this year, go contact DJ Scratchin'
January 20th is the due date. I may be doing an original instead of a cover!

  • NEW ART FORM PEWPEWPEWPPEPWEP
Okay, I don't know the actual title for this... but it's a pretty interesting and hilarious compilation centered on the 8bitcollective forums (I don't actually go there, but my friends do)
Basically, the story is this:
Facundo's roommate's father is a radio host on some generic music radio station in Jersey. The kid got his dad to give Facundo and his label (Dancing Is Forbidden) a plug on the station.. unfortunately, Facundo is not classic rock or whatever the hell that station plays... he's a chiptune artist.
I don't think I need to explain where it went from there.
The compilation is basically anyone who wants to just throwing together a terrible and hilarious remix of the miserable radio plug (which was conveniently recorded for us all.)
I think this will be out at the end of the month.


  • Nektar Vol. 2
Some guy on last.fm contacted me back in October about featuring me on a compilation, and only in the past few days did he get back to me.
It's some kind of wacky, high minded, conceptual compilation that I have no idea if I can match the theme... but I will do my best.
It's deadline is "December 32nd"... which is not a real day... but that's okay. I'll have mine on the 31st to be safe....




Those are within the next month or so.
After that there are some more compilations, solo releases, splits, and releases from my bands finally!







  • Cybernetic Underworld
I was contacted recently by a clothing designer, Insidious Clothing, they are putting together a compilation with the aforementioned. She's worked with Metal Blade, Slipknot, Marylin Manson, Cinema Strange, and a host of other people that would not normally see myself associated with. She explained in her email that they are moving to incorporate a lot of other forms of music in what they do, and to commemorate their expanding market and source of inspiration they are hosting and assembling a compilation and they want me to be involved. As with all non-holiday themed compilations, I will be doing an original song.
Will be out by the end of February.


  • I, candy (working title)
So last year, long time friend Peppermint Pony (who assembles and presents the Christmasasaurus compilations with me each year) started a Floppy Disc label called

We talked about having me do a release through the label, but I got so distracted with finally getting TAFKA'8LDM' released that I totally forgot about it.
Well, I talked to him last night about Christmasasaurus and he linked me to the myspace for the label and I noticed he'd added colorful cassettes to the mediums he'd be releasing with.
While touring with Yatagarasu and STRESS I ended up hearing a lot of cassettes. They've been floating around my life a lot recently in fact, and it got me thinking that I should do a novelty release on cassette. I'm thinking it will contain two remixes, three or four new songs, and either a karaoke mix of some TAFKA'8LDM' song or some really really short and noisey songs inspired by Melt-Banana Lite, Scissor Shock, and my old work with c@... but BgO style.
Will be released whenever I clean up my desktop and push myself really hard one weekend.
I'm going Fork Sister style work ethic with this bad boy.


  • ACL Donation Compilation: Save The Kitties!
Believe it or not, this is not a title I came up with.
I was recently lurking the myspace pages of Placenta Recordings artists and I stumbled upon a compilation called SAVE THE KITTIES.
I was immediately sold, but I had to read about it.
Turns out, Tooth.Eye is assembling a compilation to print copies of and sell to give all proceeds to animal shelters and such to help keep the stray animals of Chicago safe.
The world of stray domesticated animals is a fucked up one; animals left in the street will die, but it's often too expensive to keep animals in captivity for too long as many of them are never adopted, go insane from being 'institutionalized', or are just uncomfortable forever when space runs out... it's really not something I enjoy thinking about, but money to benefit them is something I approve of.
It wasn't long after I read it and became interested that Tooth.Eye sent me a message about donating a song and I immediately responded with an enthusiastic yes.
I don't know what kind of song I'm going to do, but it will be about cats.. not bad cats either!
I don't know the deadline.

  • Split EP with Zathura
Who the is Zathura you ask? I wondered the same thing when I opened my myspace messages a few months ago when they asked me to do a split... with Black Clocks... looks like I've done a terrible job making people understand that BxCx is long dead.
I think the best explanation of their sound is this, assuming you're too damn lazy to click on the link and sit through the terrifying mess of clashing color patterns:
Take one part ridiculous melted metal and rock, one part Crystal Castles (only the good parts), one part Snowsuit*, one part Yatagarasu, give a girl, and a guy with girly vocals, distorted mics, and mix it all in a blender to create a smoothie of freaked out, sample chopping distortchippop.

I don't normally like accepting offers to do splits with BgO because I take forever with them, but something in my brain said "m@... you must do this!" and... I did!
I have not done much writing for it yet because I've been working on things, but I will soon!
Should be out in March.

  • Split EP with Kindergarten Hazing Ritual
Who is Kindergarten Hazing Ritual you ask?
Well... you shouldn't be asking, where the hell have you been the past 8 years??
KHR is the solo project of Cory Monster
.
It's a delightfully raw cybergrind project that has managed to stay interesting for like... pratically a fucking decade... all witout really changing it's sound in any dramatic way. Punky, metal as fuck, or totally discordant grind riffs with the occasional appearance of some Gameboy sounds and some vocals recorded through some old voice altering toy.
He's a great guy (even if he doesn't like women.... not in the gay way... in the "I hate women" way), and his music is manic, raw, and completely pissed off. Seriocomic and tongue-in-cheek songs about misogyny, misanthropy, and... nerd culture... it still confuses to no end, but makes perfect sense in every way.
My side is mostly programmed, his is mostly complete (also awesome.) It'll be a free release on his label.
No word on the exact month of release.

  • Bad Happy (2nd BgO full length)
Yes... I really mean it this time... I want the album out and I want it out soon.
After almost 5 years with this project and only 2 official releases, it needs to happen as fast as possible... the only problem is that I don't want it to sound like that was the mentality it was recorded in, heh.
Bad Happy is a collection comprised mostly of songs I wrote on tour, a few tracks I scrapped from the Yatagarasu split (one of which I'd actually finished recording), some songs I wrote when I got back from the tour, and some songs that are the products of salvaging throw away material and some weird samples I'd made.
The album is shorter than TAFKA'8LDM', but it may get longer as incidental recordings come into existence (I'M SO MAD! and Cat Machine! are examples of past incidental recordings for BgO.)
It makes more nods to breakcore and chiptune than previous albums have, and has loads of analog noise and electronics, bass and guitar, theremin, sampler synthesis,
subtractive/additive synthesis, original samples, and is filled to the rim with S-SMP/SPC700 and weird vocal parts... I actually even included some 1-bit sounds for fun.
I don't think it will be the crowning achievement of BgO, but I think it's really solid material, I like it more than TAFKA'8LDM', and it will make a very good stepping stone on the path to releasing Sparkle Fountain.
I plan on finishing Bad Happy by March, but I can make no promises.

I'll take this time to mention again that this is NOT the second BgO album I wrote.
There are currently 8 BgO albums that are simply collecting digital dust on my harddrive and literal dust on back-up discs.


  • Split EP with Dental Work
Dental Work is the solo project of Placenta Recordings' owner Jay. It's an experimental noise project that combines nail-biting power electronics with all kinds of unusual trials in sonic alienation. I played with him in Traverse City and was so totally distracted by talking to some fans and with the experience of his music + the crazy foreign film he had on a projector, that I barely payed attention to what he was doing... I hope I can manage to catch what he actually does this time! He had all kinds of crazy gear and objects on his table.
No release date. He's laid back about that stuff. It'll be a CD-R release on Placenta Recordings, meaning that it costs 5 dollars but is a hand numbered CD-R in colored plastic sleeve with crazy, printed artwork insert.


  • Frame House EP
Yeah... it's been in the works for about 3 years now. Frame House is the duo of me on bass, vocals, and mandolin, additional guitar, and electronics for recordings, and longtime friend (as in, since 1st grade) Keith Williams on guitar and vocals.
We write the songs collaboratively (a process I'm usually pretty bad at) and we've been playing together in different bands since 2003.
The problem with every band has always been the search for a functional, dedicated, and talented drummer. Even finding a drummer with one of these qualities has presented itself to be quite difficult.
We've finally employed the talents of Ultra Death Men/Palmyra drummer Jon Lango to fill the slot temporarily and record the EP with us.
It's starting to look like we might rehearse enough material to call it a short album, but we'll see what the future holds.
No release date planned. Jon teaches lessons all the time and plays in UDM, Palmyra, and some jazz combo + random gigs, Keith plays in Washington Square Park and Bootleg Flyers, and I have all of my crap.

  • Ultra Death Men EP
You know, we actually went to a studio to record this, but ended up just messing around, eating pizza, and recording for about 40 minutes.
Eventually we'll get it right.
The songs on myspace from us are just improvisations we've recorded with a built-in laptop mic and/or a portable recording device, and the submission we did for Christmasasaurus Vol. 3 under the name The Bethlehem Redemption Orchestra was basically the same thing, but with three real mics. Currently we play some happy math-rock songs I wrote and some really wacky and humorous, experimental, semi-improvised rock weirdness... plenty of noisy improv between songs as well.
No release date discussed.... Like I said... we're busy people.



Alright, that's all I have for now.
Have pleasant dreams :D

No comments:

Post a Comment