Sunday, December 20, 2009

Go life!

I have good news and bad news.
Let's start with bad.

I will not have shirts done in time for Lansing.
This is extremely disappointing of course, and to a lot of people who were asking me for them, but I will at least have them done in January at the least.... hey, it's not as bad as how many times the album got delayed by things out of my control....

Other bad news, I will not be able to record a track for Best Of Christmas (NOT) Vol. 3
I worked on a few tracks as potential songs for it, but I hate all of them now and the snowstorm has made it impossible to get to Bradlea's apartment, the only place I'd be able to record anything.

Now good news time!


So it's Christmas time, right?
"...yes m@... we get it. You like Christmas"
No no no... that's not what I was going to say... I just...
-sigh- anyway...
Well, because it's Christmas, and because my dad is the area coordinator of music in my town's school district, and because I teach in the summer music program every year, I am basically obligated to attend the yearly "holiday concert," as well as just about every other concert hosted by the schools.

Usually they are met with the same sort of things... I see one or two of the Ultra Death Men brothers standing in the back, I see some teachers that remember me fondly, I see a parent or two, maybe a student (current or past) that I was friendly with but didn't talk to much...
This time however I was met with a slightly different sequence of events.
It started typically, I sat in the back and saw Sean and Jon, along with some other people who teach at the summer program, I glared angrily every time some idiot walked in the door during performance portions of the concert and then let the door slam behind them...

However, as intermission began, a weathered, grey eyed man in his 40s or so grabbed me by the shoulders, looked me right in the eyes, shook me a bit and said "hey, don't listen to anything they say. Just don't listen to them"
Completely bewildered and disarmed, I looked all over his face looking for the slightest bit of semblance to someone I had ever spoken to.
When none was found I began wondering about the outcome "murderer? drunk? crazy person?"
Before my brain got too carried away he stated "the hecklers. Bowling For Soup? I was there *insert date* for that. Don't listen to them, they don't know what the fuck they're talking about"

My response was nervous laughter, relief, and a smile, followed by "oooh, yeah... well, I'm not too worried."
He went on.. "You know, I grabbed one of them by the shirt, and I said 'if I get hit with your arm one more time, I'm going to take you outside and break your fucking neck"
I'm assuming said person was giving me the finger.
I laughed again, now without awkwardness and with a new found sense of elation.
I thanked him and informed him in a still somewhat confused way that I truthfully expected a similar outcome, and that I wasn't affected by their unwarranted and erroneous "comments."
He patted me on the shoulders again and said "good... they were a bunch of ass holes. Good luck to ya"


I have been to many, many school functions in my life, before, during, and after going to school. None of them have ever left me with such a glorious sense of empowerment.
I can just imagine the kids who bothered him going home and crying about what happened.
This man was no crotchety old man or typical looking 40 - 50 something guy.
This was a man who really might have broken a neck, and definitely could have.

You know... It seems like adults are often times more supportive and appreciative of my music sometimes than the 14 - 23 crowd I seem to usually attract....



Anyway....



I finally have some photographic evidence of S.C.E.N.E. Party II (Salem Chiptune Electronica Noise Extravaganza)at the Gulu Gulu Cafe in Salem MA.

There are more on the way, but who know's what I'll actually post.

Photobucket

This is probably my favorite picture.
On the left is DigiDan (ex-Lucky Constrictors, PATP, Rupis Kelp, and others) who came on tour with me just for the hell of it.

Then is obviously me making the world a less beautiful place.

The guy hugging me is Marc (Moon Climb The Wall and others.) I met him on the Take Control Tour at some house show in Roxbury MA, and we barely talked, but he gave me a wacky, bleached, v-neck cat shirt with MCTW written on the back, and he was really nice and supportive during both nights.
He's one of those people you meet and feel like you've known them your whole life.

The happy looking Scotsman in the center is DJ Scotvoid, who organized the event.
Another guy I met at the Asteroid M House in Roxbury, and another really nice fellow who felt like an instant life-long connection.

Marc and Scot DJ shows on Salem's college radio station. I think they are called MWMW.

Next to him is Gaylin (I think that was his name. I'm really terrible with that) of Computers At Sea, a circuit bent electronics + pop project.
He is kind of like a real life 70s cartoon protagonist with an intellectual side.
I wish I had the means to convey to you in what way that describes him well.
I think the only way to do it is to tell you to watch Dudley Doright from the Rock & Bulwinkle cartoon.
Oh... and I have no idea where that Christmas tree in his arms came from, nor do I remember him taking it from somewhere... or even having it.
It was Krampusnacht eve in Salem MA, by the witch dungeon, at a noise/chiptune/electronics show. I should have expected stranger.

Hugging him is Chris (Active Knowledge.)
I've played with him four times now and he's proven himself a very good friend and a fun live show every time.
We met him on the Take Control tour, and he was one of the few people who reached out to Chris (Yatagarasu) and I about booking us, without us having to stick our foot in any doors.... or even ask.

Next to Chris is some guy. I don't honestly remember his name unfortunately.
That's how bad I am.



Here's another one.
Photobucket

I post this here, because at higher resolutions it looks less like my mouth is contoured to some impossible, inhuman 0 shape, and more like it's the effect of me moving too fast and the lighting being crazy.

All of the pictures I got from that night seem to be of me in what I call "chiptune/noise/breakcore poses" (take your pick.)

That's okay, I probably couldn't be photographed while freaking out in that light, and it'd probably look silly being behind the table (I didn't go into the crowd for whatever reason, even though I put my table on the floor.






Oh, and before I go off to who knows where, here is a picture of Bradlea's cat, Spoilsbury.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment