Monday, February 15, 2010

Feb 12 and 13 show reviews

I haven't done one of these in forever!
I remember back in the days when I'd have like one or two shows a year I'd go over every single detail to the extreme.


Well the first show, Chiptune 4: TOGETHER 4 EVR @ The Massachusetts College of Art, did not go so smoothly.
The sound woman was far from helpful with making things loud enough, so I decided to do whatever I could to fix the problem... it wasn't worth it.
I did manage to play like two or three songs with slightly better volume after I basically just said "look, something needs to change."
I met some nice people and some really questionable ones, talked with Facundo, Vicky's Booties, Animal Style, and other people I've not spoken to in a while, and I managed to get myself invited to another radio show (hopefully I won't get electrocuted this time.)

Seems like any time show attendance is over 40, something goes horribly wrong.
*remembers Bowling For Soup show and cringes*
oh god... the pop punk kids.... make them stop.... (T__T

After the show I headed to Kamakaze Kitten's house.
His parents actually let me stay two nights in a row, so thanks to him and his family for that!


The second show went a lot better.
It was in Roxbury MA at a place known as The Asteroid M House.
I don't know exactly if that means anything, but the shows there are fantastic.
There was only 11 people there, but it managed to be one of the best shows I've played, both in terms of performance and crowd/crowd reaction.
(There was even some keyboard solo wankery at the end of Erin Battle by yours truly)

The night started with me doing a really noisy set as c@ (first performance!), followed by a terrifying noise set by the collaborative set of Hug Fucks and Moon Climb The Wall: Rat King.
After that, Active Knowledge played a wacky chiptune set, complete with a crowd singalong/karaoke rendition of some Madonna song I'm not familiar with.
To end the night they had me play as Bubblegum Octopus, and it was met with 11(maybe more, but that's what I saw) extremely enthusiastic people.

I don't care what anyone says.
Playing for 100 people who love you, hate you, and don't care for a well paying show on a big stage is complete shit compared to a non-paying show for 11 ultra enthusiastic people in a dirty, creepy little basement.

People who think that playing big shows is more respectable, better, or whatever the fuck else are full of shit.


(if something happens and a project or band of mine becomes super popular by some fluke, I won't regret saying that, nor will I disagree with myself)



Anyway, there's almost no evidence that this weekend took place, just two lousy pictures from the first night (that I know of) and two pictures from the second night.
I'll post whatever I can find, but don't expect much.


This week will not be terribly busy for BgO. Just writing lyrics, maybe working on some songs, and then doing some more shooting for that interview.

It might be the second Frame House rehearsal with a drummer though, and Ultra Death Men has really been picking up some steam. Three new songs and a bunch of ideas for places we can play music at locally.

That's all for now! AWAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment